St. Columba’s N.S. is a mainstream, co-educational, Church of Ireland school under the patronage of the Bishop of Cashel, Ferns and Ossory. The school caters for boys and girls from Junior Infants to Sixth Class. We are a four teacher school and have three mainstream class teachers and one learning support teacher who is based in our school. The school also has a part-time secretary and a part-time cleaner. There are 65 children in our school.
Standing on approximately one acre of grounds, our beautiful granite school was built in 1825. Our playground is suitable for use in all weather conditions. We are very fortunate to have a large tarmac and grassed playground with a side garden for our pupils to enjoy. If the weather is very wet, we use the hall as our play area. Our school garden was recently decorated by the children and has a wide variety of plants which flower throughout the year.
Our well equipped hall allows for all strands of the P.E. curriculum to be taught during the school year, while the pupils receive swimming lessons during the Spring term in Graiguecullen Swimming Pool. Weather permitting, pupils can enjoy their PE lessons in our large playground.
The school is a Green school and strives to provide a healthy and green environment for the pupils to learn in every day. We are currently working toward our fifth Green Flag.
We use ICT to enhance pupils’ learning experiences within the school. We are very fortunate to have a well equipped computer room, interactive whiteboards in all classrooms, visualisers and iPads. Our classes regularly blog and tweet about their learning.
We deliver the 1999 Revised Primary Schools Curriculum using a variety of methodologies including ICT, peer supported learning, Aistear, collaborative group work, co-operative group work as well as individual and independent learning.
We have an active Board of Management and very supportive parent body.